History and Facts About Toyota Land Cruiser
Toyota Land Cruiser’s production dates back to 1951, when it was used by Japan’s National Police Reserve (NPR). Since then there is no looking back for LC. The production of Land Cruiser continues for over 70 years, with a total of 14 models and an array of variations in each. It is no surprise that one of the most amazing facts about Toyota Land Cruiser is that it’s among the vehicles with the longest production history,and the credit goes to the undying demand.
Another interesting fact about Toyota Land Cruiser is that these are designed to last. It is a durable vehicle that can endure tough terrains for years.
Before we continue with interesting facts about Toyota Land Cruiser, let’s take a brief look at its history.
TOYOTA LAND CRUISER HISTORY
Here is a brief Toyota Land Cruiser history and its evolution from a military to civilian vehicle:
In the 1950 North Korea war against South Korea, Japanese auto manufacturers were commissioned by United States and United Nations to provide 4-WD trucks to US armed forces. Toyota was chosen to supply these types of vehicles, as it was already supplying primary trucks in the 1940s to Japan’s armed forces.
Later, they asked for 1000 4-WD with specifications similar to Jeep by Willys. Given the requirement, Toyota presented its prototype in 1951 to NPR. However, they picked Mitsubishi 4-WD.
That did not stop Toyota. The company continued its further research and re-produced its prototype with advanced features. This model was named ‘Toyota Jeep BJ’ – B for B-series engine and J for Jeep. In 1954, the company named this specific model as ‘Land Cruiser’ and was launched in the export market.
In the year 1958, Toyota launched the first consumer-version of Land Cruiser FJ40 (40-series) in America and then Toyota to date has produced several variations and models of Land Cruiser.
FACTS ABOUT TOYOTA LAND CRUISER
Discussed here, in brief, are some facts about the Toyota Land Cruiser that you may or may not be aware of:
- Toyota AK10, a predecessor of the Land Cruiser was a 2-seater.
- Toyota Land Cruisers can accommodate eight passengers and even offer ample cargo space.
- The first 13 Toyota Land Cruisers launched in Australia were driven to Kosciuszko National Park, carrying heavy-duty machinery. The terrain towards the park was difficult but the Land Cruiser successfully made it with the load.
- Toyota Land Cruiser was able to achieve 1st and 2nd position in the 1996 Dakar. This is known as the most tiring rally across the globe. But, Land Cruiser was able to complete 8497 km in 15 days.
- One of the less known facts about Toyota Land Cruiser could be that most of their parts are waterproof and that includes exhaust as well.
- This fact can be backed by the longest drive record by Emil and Liliana, who drove 692,227 km, as they spent their 30 years travelling the world on Land Cruiser 60 to 180+ countries and territories.
- One of the Toyota Land Cruiser facts is that its 200 series can tow about 8000 pounds. This towing capacity is quite appreciated, as motorists can tow trailers, boats and other loads easily behind their Land Cruiser 200-series
- Moreover, Toyota Land Cruiser launched from 2018 till date comes with a complete 4-WD system.
- Land Cruisers are not only a preferred choice of off-roaders but also of relief organisations, mining/heavy-duty work companies and other industries that need durable and strong SUVs to commute on difficult terrains.
- Given its exceptional resale value, the demand for used Toyota Land Cruisers remains high and the depreciation rate is also low.
Here we conclude facts about Toyota Land Cruiser. Besides, given the quality and performance of the auto brand, you can also check used Toyota cars for sale in the UAE. Used Toyota Camry and Toyota Land Cruisers are popular among buyers, according to the dubizzle’s 2020 second-hand car market annual report.
Stay tuned to UAE’s top auto blog for more facts about different car makes and models.