Facilities for People of Determination Using Public Transport in Dubai
Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) offers many integrated services, specifically designed to facilitate the people of determination (PoD) in Dubai. All the RTA public transport facilities and stations including pedestrian underpasses, pavements and buildings are PoD accessible. The facilities by RTA for people of determination in Dubai is to ensure that they can access public transportation facilities with ease.
Let’s read on to know more about transport facilities for people of determination in Dubai and how they are facilitated before and after on board.
TRANSPORT FACILITIES FOR PEOPLE OF DETERMINATION IN DUBAI
Detailed here are transport facilities for people of determination in Dubai initiated for their ease by RTA as well as free commute options (conditions apply):
PERSONALISED NOL CARD FOR PEOPLE OF DETERMINATION
Since RTA offers many facilities for people of determination using public transport in Dubai, one of such is free commute via public buses and Dubai Metro. With a personalised nol card, they can travel anywhere in the city on any of the two public means of transport, completely free. The personalised nol card for people of determination is valid for five years only. On expiry, they can apply for a new nol card at the same value.
FACILITIES FOR PEOPLE OF DETERMINATION USING METRO
PoD commuting through Metro trains in Dubai are facilitated by the following features:
- Each carriage in Metro has a designated space for a wheelchair near the door
- Automated Metro doors for feasible exit and entry
- For visually impaired, audio notices are played at the Metro stations and in the Metro. Also, the station’s have tactile flooring that guides them through the path
- The hearing-impaired passengers can take assistance from CCTVs
- Spacious lifts at the Metro stations for wheelchair accessibility
- Escalators have side hand rests along the rail at the Metro stations
- The Metro stations have a dedicated parking area for PoD near the entrance gate
FACILITIES FOR PEOPLE OF DETERMINATION USING TAXI
Dubai Taxi Corporation (DTC), a subsidiary of RTA offers separate transport facilities for people of determination in Dubai. They offer People of Determination Taxi service, also referred to as “Special Wheel for a Special Need”. These vehicles are specifically designed for the comfort of PoD, for instance, they have lifts for wheelchair accessibility, a wheelchair inside, an artificial respiratory system as well as seats for accompanying passengers.
The Special Wheel for a Special Need taxi is one of the facilities for people of determination using public transport in Dubai, accessible 24/7 across the Emirate. These Dubai taxis are easily recognisable, given their size and red roof as well as with a universal blue icon logo on the back window and passenger doors.
One can book special needs taxis via the Dispatch Centre in advance. Besides, these taxis are also available at the Dubai International Terminals 1, 2 and 3.
FACILITIES FOR PEOPLE OF DETERMINATION USING MARINE TRANSPORT
The transport facilities in Dubai for people of determination also encompass marine transportation. All the marine modes of public commutes and their stations are designed to facilitate PoD. For instance, Dubai Ferry to Sharjah has two designated wheelchair spaces. Here’s how they are facilitated:
- Water Bus in Dubai is designed with many seats to accommodate up to three wheelchairs
- PoD are assisted by the crew to get into the water bus and at each marina a dedicated employee for their assistance is present
- The LCD monitors aid hearing-impaired individuals to read information and safety guidelines on the water bus
- Dubai Ferry to Sharjah and within the Emirate can accommodate two wheelchairs and the seats are foldable for about 20% to facilitate PoD to ensure spacious entry and exit of wheelchair passengers
FACILITIES FOR PEOPLE OF DETERMINATION USING PUBLIC BUSES
People of determination using public buses are not only facilitated by free commute but the buses are also designed to ensure their comfort. The public buses in Dubai provide complete accessibility to the PoD with dedicated spaces for their use. The RTA buses offer 1517 low floor buses to ensure easy entry and exit of PoD passengers.
Other than facilities for people of determination using public transport, the UAE government has also taken initiatives to facilitate driving for them. The driving facilities for people of determination in the UAE are backed by proper rules and regulations. However, they are exempted from paying the Salik toll fee, but they need to renew this exemption on yearly basis. Moreover, special parking permits for people of determination are issued by RTA to ensure they can use the dedicated public parking spaces.
Given the driving facilities for PoD in the Emirates, they may opt to buy a car for themselves to commute anywhere hassle-free. To start with you can choose from used cars for sale in Dubai but before that complete a driving course that is offered to people of determination and obtain a valid PoD driving licence.
Stay tuned to UAE’s top auto blog for more information about Dubai traffic and driving laws and more.