Driving Facilities for People of Determination in the UAE
The UAE government has taken effective measures for the people of determination. Initiatives are taken to ensure their inclusion in every wake of life through facilities that let them perform daily tasks with ease. Not only is public transport easily accessible for the people of determination, they can also drive their own car in the UAE.
Driving for the disabled – a program initiated by Dubai Government makes sure that people with special needs or disabilities can visit parks conveniently, park their vehicles (if they drive) without difficulty and are provided with ramps and wheelchair facilities. In this guide, we will have a look at such driving facilities for people of determination in the Emirates, and how one can avail these facilities.
How Can People of Determination Get a Driver’s Licence?
Emirates Driving Institute offers special driving courses for the people of determination with the help of using modified vehicles, popularly known as adapted vehicles with hand controls for people with lower body (below the waist) disabilities.
Following is the process for people of determination to get a driving licence in Dubai:
- People of determination should visit Rashid Hospital’s Physical, Medicine, and Rehabilitation Department and get their assessment done. The department can be reached on this number: 04-2192551 between 8:00 am to 2:00 pm.
- The assessment will be conducted by two examiners with a prior appointment. They decide how many practical lessons a student needs, these can range from 12 to 32 practical sessions. Once the assessment is cleared, the student can collect their medical report at the given time.
- After successful assessment, people of determination can apply for the RTA approval letter at the Emirates Driving School.
- After the RTA deem a person of determination feasible for driving, the letter is sent to the Emirates Driving School and they will contact the individual for getting registered for training.
- Following successful submission of the required documents, the person of determination will receive the driver’s license provided they clear the training program and the subsequent test.
Following is the process for people of determination to get a driving licence in the capital:
- In Abu Dhabi, people of determination need to apply for a driving licence through the TAMM official website.
Cost of Acquring a Special Driving Licence
- At the Rashid Hospital Physical, Medicine, and Rehabilitation Department those who have legitimate health cards have to pay AED 250 for the assessment, whereas those who don’t have a health card will have to get one made.
- The price for getting a new car made at the hospital is AED 360.
- The fee to collect the assesment medical report is AED 260
Documents Required For Getting The Licence
Following documents are required to acquire a driving licence in Dubai:
- Original Emirates ID or a visa copy if the designation mentioned in the ID is different from the stamped visa
- Original medical report from the Rashid Hospital, Dubai
- RTA file opening (you will need to complete an eye test, the test can be done at EDI’s main centres based in Al Quasis or Al Quoz. You can get your eye tested at any RTA authorized optical centre in Dubai.
- Two copies of your passport
- No Objection Certificate from the sponsor
- Original license if you hold a driving license of your home country (this should be translated in Arabic or English if it is in another language)
- 5 Passport size photos
As for Abu Dhabi, you can apply for a driving licence through the Zayed Higher Organization for People of Determination.
What is a People of Determination Card?
This is a personal card meant for people of determination issued by the Ministry of Community Development (MOCD). The special card is an official document that indicates the cardholder is disabled and entitled to the services and rights set forward by the UAE Disability Act of 2006.
The Process of Acquiring a PoD/ Disability Card
People of determination willing to acquire PoD cards have to first make a personal profile on the Ministry of Community Development (MOCD) website. Necessary documents required for acquiring a PoD card in Dubai include:
- Psychological (regarding autism and mental disabilities) or medical reports (regarding sensory and physical disabilities) from a government hospital in the UAE
- Personal photo of the person of disability on a white background
- Copy of the individual’s passport
- Copy of the individual’s Emirates ID (both sides)
- Copy of residence visa (this should have a validity of six months or more and is required for expat residents)
To get a PoD card, individuals have to make an account on the MOCD website and select the ‘Issuing People of Determination Cards’ from the list of services. The individual will then be asked to make a personal profile and upload the required documents. Once done, confirmation of the request will be sent through SMS and email. When all the eligibility criteria are met, the PoD card is issued and delivered to the individual’s address.
Moreover, in Abu Dhabi, people with special needs can also apply for the PoD card through TAMM official website. A special permit is provided by the Abu Dhabi Police to the people of determination. People of determination are exempt from paying the Mawaqif parking fees in the capital after acquiring this specialized card.
Anyone found parking their vehicle illegally in a parking spot reserved for people of determination in Abu Dhabi is fined AED 1000.
Terms and Conditions to Acquire a Special Parking Permit
In case a person of determination in Dubai wants to be driven around by a relative, they can get a driving licence through the above-mentioned process. You can apply for the special parking permit with RTA after acquiring the driver’s licence. As for UAE, you can apply for the parking permit with Zayed Higher Organization for People of Determination.
The following conditions apply for acquiring the special parking permit in the UAE:
- The special permit service is limited to UAE nationals and expatriates with registered vehicles only
- Special permits are not going to be issued to company registered vehicles
- To acquire a special permit, the car must be in the ownership of the disabled applicant or their first-degree relative
- The car is to be used by the person of determination and should not be driving around if they are not in the car.
- The special permit must be renewed after a certain time period.
Here is a detailed guide on applying for a temporary RTA parking permit for people of determination in Dubai.
Benefits of the POD card
Among the many driving facilities for people of determination in the UAE is the people of determination card. PoD cardholders can enjoy a number of privileges allowing them unrestricted access to public and private facilities. Some of the many benefits of the PoD cards include:
- Free entry to the IMG World of Adventure
- 50% discount on Etisalat and Du services
- Exemption for all fees of UAE
- Priority housing in the Shaikh Zayed housing program
- Free entry for cardholders in public parks, dolphin shows, Dubai Frame and Children’s City
- The Ministry of Interior provides free vehicle license
- Exemption from Salik fee
- Free Entry to Emirates Park Zoo located in Abu Dhabi
These benefits can be utilized by people of determination of all categories. However, keep in mind that PoD cardholders might have to produce other documents in addition to their card to make use of the aforementioned benefits. They may be asked to provide a copy of their Emirates ID and or passport copy among other requirements. Visit the MOCD official website to view the full list of benefits and additional requirements.
You can also renew the people of determination card through the UAE Ministry of Community Development’s official website.
Other Facilities for People of Determination
Apart from driving facilities in the UAE for people of determination, the following facilities are offered to people of determination in Dubai:
- All ticket booths of public transport options are wheelchair accessible
- Free seats on all the rail facilities for people on wheelchairs
- Tactile floor paths at rail stations to guide the visually impaired
- Over 1000 low floor buses and spaced out designed for the use of people with determination
- Some Dubai taxis have been set aside for use by people of determination. Taxis for people of determination in Dubai are driven by well-trained drivers and are fitted with special lifts for wheelchairs, antiradical respiratory systems and seats for caretakers or companions
That is all about driving facilities in the UAE for people of determination in the UAE. The main aim of all these services and benefits is to make sure that no one living in the country feels discriminated against because of their special needs. If you have a family member who is on a wheelchair, here is how you can convert a regular vehicle in a wheelchair accessible transportation.
Moreover, here is a list of driving courses for people of determination in Dubai.
If you have acquired a special licence and wish to buy a car for yourself, take a look at these used cars for sale in the UAE.
Stay tuned to UAE’s top auto blog for more on all kinds of road facilities, road rules and road safety.