All about Inline 4 Engines
Inline engines, also known as straight engines, have all cylinders arranged in a row. They tend to be longer than the V configuration. Therefore, inline engines are usually offered in variations of 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6-cylinder. As for the 8-cylinder engine, it is not that common as it’s not easy to fit in most engine bays owing to its long size. In recent times, four-cylinder inline engines have garnered popularity owing to their fuel economy, affordability and lesser emissions. Moreover, inline 4 engines are smoother owing to their lesser parts. Let’s go through the inline 4 engine in detail.
The Working of an Inline 4 Engine
Most automakers offer inline-4 engines standard on their vehicles, owing to their efficiency and small size. Let’s go through the working mechanism of inline 4 engines. The power distribution of an inline 4 engine is in pairs, whereby the two inner pistons and the two outer pistons fire at the same time.
This makes up for a firing interval in a straight line that balances the operation’s forces. This is also the reason behind the engine being smooth with less vibrations and good torque, thanks to a longer cylinder stroke.
The technical term for this process is “sum of forces,” including primary and secondary forces, and explains why there are more vibrations as inline-4 engines increase in displacements.
It is simpler to work with inline 4 engines as there is a single-cylinder head. Naturally, each engine style comes with its own set of advantages. As for an inline four cylinder engine, it has a higher centre of gravity when compared with other engines as the cylinders are placed vertically.
Advantages of an Inline 4 Engine
The inline 4-cylinder engine is used commonly in vehicles simply because it has one-cylinder bank, one valve train and online cylinder head. Other advantages offered by an inline 4 engine include:
- The inline 4 cylinder engine is compact and small. This gives it the ability to fit in almost any engine bay.
- An inline 4 engine is lightweight. It has just one exhaust manifold and the weight is reduced further.
- With just a one-cylinder head, there are only a few moving parts when compared with engines having multiple cylinder banks. As a result, less energy is lost and the probability of any type of malfunctions also reduces.
- Primary forces get balanced as the two outside pistons move in the opposite direction of the inside two pistons.
- Because of the pistons’ longer stroke, the inline engine is able to churn out a good torque without having to rely on high compression ratios and turbochargers to make decent power.
- Four-cylinder engines are easy to work on. Case in point: the cylinder head is the highest point which eases the job of the spark plug and valve train access.
- Four-cylinder engines are economical with lower manufacturing costs.
That is all about the inline 4 engines, it’s working and benefits. If you wish to buy a vehicle powered by an inline 4 engine, here is a list of used cars for sale in the UAE. Other engines used in vehicles offered on the platform include the W12 engine, the V6 engine and the V8 engine.
Stay tuned to UAE’s top auto blog for more on car engines, types and their working mechanism.