All about V6 Engine
The V6 engine is one of the most considerable engine in the automobile industry. The engine is known for its fuel efficiency and refined performance. Car enthusiasts prefer this engine for the thrilling and stirring ride it provides. It is also one of the most compact engine designs as it is smaller than 4 and 8 cylinder engines.
The following guide will provide you with complete details about the history, working and benefits of a V6 engine in cars.
History of V6 Engine
The first prototype V6 engine was introduced in 1906 soon after the invention of V4 engines. However, the first commercially used V6 engine was produced by Delahaye. It was a 3.2-Litre DOHC V6 engine that was used in the Type 44 car model series. Later, many famous American car brands use this engine type like the mini-truck of GMC launched in 1959. Nissan was the first Japanese car brand to introduce the V6 engine in its car in 1983. The V6 engine horsepower is more than average to power a sedan, though it can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Here we have elaborated what is a V6 engine in detail.
Design of V6 Engine
The V6 engine is based on a crankshaft that contains two cylinder banks and a total of six cylinders. The cylinders are arranged in odd numbers that reduce the natural balance force of the engine. Therefore, in the V6 engine balance shafts are installed to maintain the efficient working of the engine. Discussing the V6 engine power, an average 3-Liter V6 can produce 400 hp which is enough for a mid to full size sedan. However, the average power generation capacity of these engines can be affected by the angle of V. See the following angles of V and their impact on the V6 engine horsepower.
Different Angles of V
The most commonly used angles of V are acute angle (60°), right angle (90°), and obtuse angle (120°). There are other angles also, but these angles are rarely used in the V6 engine. The following paragraphs will elaborate on the role of the angle of V in these engines.
- Acute Angle (60°): The crankpins installed at 60° reduce the primary vibration, thus the requirement of a balance shaft is eliminated. It can fit into the smaller engine compartments of modern vehicles.
- Right Angle (90°): It reduces the V6 engine manufacturing cost but increases the vibration. To reduce this vibration, crankpins are installed.
- Obtuse Angle (120°): This angle allows the attachment of pistons at the same crank. Moreover, the vibrations are reduced and exclude the requirement of crankpins.
Benefits of V6 Engine
The V6 engine has been considered a prodigy since its introduction. It is termed as an ideal solution for the limitations of V4 and V8 engines. We have listed some other benefits of the engine in the following paragraphs.
- Fuel-Efficiency: The angle of V in the V6 engine creates a direct and positive impact on the fuel efficiency of the vehicle. Moreover, these engines align well with a number of fuel-saving features in modern cars.
- Compact Size: Its size is more compact and can be fitted parallel to the car.
- Lower Maintenance: It contains lesser moving parts that reduce the wear and tear inside the engine block. Therefore, lesser maintenance is required in V6.
Future of V6 Engine
The classic internal combustion engines secure a dominant position in the automobile industry. Their durability and higher efficiency are difficult to meet. The popular Italian car brand Ferrari has recently confirmed that its future vehicles will contain a V6 engine. Other than that, a number of popular brands still prefer V6 engines because of the horsepower and engine torque it delivers.
This was all about the V6 engine and its usage in the automobile industry. These engines are considered matchless in terms of performance and permanence. If you are interested in leveraging the benefits of this engine, browse through these used cars for sale in the UAE. We have also listed some of the latest models equipped with V6 engine.
- Buy used Lexus RX 2022 for sale in the UAE
- Buy second-hand Toyota Land Cruiser 2022 for sale in the UAE
Stay tuned to UAE’s top auto blog for more information on car engines and their type.