How to Drive at a Roundabout in the UAE
Driving around a roundabout might be slightly tricky. Yet, with sufficient knowledge of how traffic works and following the rules, you can easily navigate your way around them. However, the roundabout road rules vary based on the number of lanes at a particular roundabout. Here is a detailed guide on how to drive around a roundabout in the UAE.
Steps to follow for navigating a roundabout
Follow these directions for proper and safe navigation around a roundabout in the UAE:
1. Recognise the Roundabout Sign
One way to ensure proper navigation around a roundabout is to check your route beforehand for a roundabout. It has a specific traffic sign in the UAE with a circle and arrows to indicate traffic flow. As per the UAE road laws, vehicles are left-handed. Therefore, the traffic flow at a roundabout always moves in an anti-clockwise direction.
2. Selecting the Correct Lane
Based on the exit you will make from the roundabout, select the appropriate lane on spotting the roundabout sign. Also, avoid last minute lane changes by moving into the right lane as early as possible.
3. Stopping at the Intersection
Only enter the roundabout when it is safe to do so. This means stopping and letting the vehicles already in the lane and moving in your direction from the left. Moreover, maintain good steering control, use mirrors and indicators properly and drive at the right speed. This will communicate your intention clearly to the other motorists on the road.
4. Navigating around specific type of roundabout
In addition to the general directions to follow, there are a few specific requirements you need to take into account when navigating around a particular type of roundabout. Usually, there are two and three-lane roundabouts that you need to know about. Also always check the traffic coming to the roundabout at your left and give way to any car coming from that way and enter the roundabout if there is no more traffic in your lane.
a. First Exit
For taking the first exit on a two-lane roundabout, follow these directions
- Approach the roundabout only when you are in the right lane, stay in that lane
- Turn on your indicator when you approach the roundabout to signal you are going to turn right
- Keep the indicator on until you leave the roundabout
- When exiting the roundabout, move to the right-hand lane
- Finally, always decide whether you will turn left, right or go straight before you enter the roundabout to choose the correct lane
b. Second Exit
If you are to go straight on a two-lane roundabout, follow these instructions:
- Decide which lane you need to be in on exiting the intersection then choose that lane
- Stay in that lane until you leave the roundabout
- Turn your indicator on after passing the first exit to signal others that you will leave at the next exit
c. Third and Fourth Exit
Here is how you can take the third and fourth exists in a two-lane roundabout:
- Approach the roundabout at the left lane or as guided by the arrows
- Continue to drive in the same lane that you have entered while navigating through the roundabout
- On exiting the roundabout, follow the corresponding lane on the coming road
- Switch on your right indicator after passing the second exit to signal your intention to leave at the next exit
- When you are about to exit, keep an eye on your right for oncoming traffic
To take the first exit, drive in the first or right lane and take the right turn turning on the indicator. The process is same for both two-lane and three-lane roundabouts.
For taking the second exit (driving straight), you drive either in right lane or the centre lane. However, stay in the same lane at the roundabout and take the second exit by continuing to drive in the same lane.
Third and Fourth Exits
When it comes to taking the third and fourth exit from a three-lane roundabout, there are a few things to consider:
- Plan carefully and drive in the left lane for the left exit and the U-turn
- Carefully check the road marking in the UAE and direction signs to get into the correct lane
- Stay in the same lane and then enter the corresponding lane on leaving the roundabout
- You must switch on your right indicator after passing the second exit indicating your departure at the next exit as you might be crossing two traffic lanes
- Exit the round about at third exit for left route and at the fourth exit for a U-turn
General Do’s and Don’ts of Driving around a Roundabout in the UAE
- Be extra careful about the pedestrians at a roundabout with zebra-crossings
- Drivers entering a roundabout must always obey the yield signs
- Wait patiently to safely enter a roundabout when there is no traffic
- Be mindful of the other vehicles around you
- If you plan to take the first exit, stay in the right-hand lane
- If you plan to exit from the second or even further exit, make use of the left or center lane
- Always change lanes by indicating on roundabout
- Always turn on the indicator when leaving a roundabout
- Cut-through roundabout (stay in lane)
- Swerve from one lane to another
- Force your way into a roundabout without waiting for your turn
- Be reckless and avoid zebra crossing rules
This is all you need to know about how to drive and turn around at a roundabout in the UAE. Now that you understand how driving at a roundabout works, it is time to practice the skills. If you already do not own a vehicle, check out these used cars for sale to find an automobile that suits your needs. Besides, you can find more detail about driving rules and regulations in the UAE from FAQs.
Always follow the traffic laws and driving rules in the UAE to drive carefully and with responsibility. To find out more about road and traffic law in the UAE, stay hooked to the region’s best auto blog.