How to Change Power Steering Pump
Power steering pump is the main component of a hydraulic power steering. It is a rotary-vane pump that transfers hydraulic pressure to the steering rack. It pulls out the power steering fluid from the reservoir and forces it towards the rack at a higher pressure. This mechanism is what makes a power steering so easy to steer without much force. If the pump fails, the wheel won’t work as expected steering will become difficult and effort consuming.
In most cases, the issue can be resolved by replacing the pump. The process is not complicated but should be performed by a professional with the right tools and expertise. This guide highlights the steps involved in power steering pump replacement.
Things to Consider Before Power Steering Pump Replacement
Before you replace a power steering pump, make sure you have properly diagnosed the problem. Two components work together in the power steering system:
- Power steering box/rack
- Power steering pump
Always check the level of power steering fluid when the engine is off; because using a power steering pump without hydraulic fluid can permanently damage it. Do check all the power steering fittings, cooler, reservoir and pumps for leaks. Also, if you have an electric power steering system make sure you know how it functions properly.
Cost of New Power Steering Pump
The average cost of a new power steering pump in the UAE starts from AED 450 and goes as high as AED 1300, considering the type of vehicle you have.
Here is the step by step guide to tell you how to change the power steering pump but first let’s find out what are the tools that need to change the power steering pump.
Tools Needed to Change Power Steering Pump
- New power steering pump
- New power steering fluid
- Safety glasses and gloves
- Liquid containment drain pan
- Pulley installation tool
- Pulley removal tool
- Screwdriver set
- Hydraulic line wrenches
- Wrench set
- Ratchet set
Steps to Change Power Steering Pump
- STEP 1: Before you start the power steering replacement process disconnect the vehicle battery to avoid any shock while working.
- STEP 2: Remove engine covers or air filter hose from the power steering fluid reservoir.
- STEP 3: Locate and identify the power steering pump.
- STEP 4: Now, remove the power steering belt from the pump.
- STEP 5: Place the liquid containment drain pan under the power steering pump to drain the fluid from it by disconnecting the lines.
- STEP 6: Detach the mounting bolts from the bracket.
- STEP 7: Once you remove the mounting bolts, it’s time to remove the power steering pump.
- STEP 8: Install a new power steering pump and carefully lock it with a mounting bracket.
- STEP 9: Reconnect the feed and return lines to the pump.
- STEP 10: Connect the power steering belt and make sure it is tight.
- STEP 11: Refill the new power steering pump with the power steering fluid.
- STEP 12: Reconnect the engine and let it run for a few minutes before you take a drive on it. This process will allow the steering fluid to properly circulate to the new pump.
- STEP 13: Check the level of the steering fluid by using a dipstick and make sure that the level of fluid is enough.
- STEP 14: Lastly, turn the steering wheel to all the sides to check if it is moving properly or not.
However, it is important to know the symptoms of a failing power steering system to identify the problem before it’s too late. For instance, Some of the common signs of a failing steering pump include whining noises, wheel stiffness, fluid contamination and more.
If you don’t know which power steering is better for your vehicle, read our guide to know the difference between electronic vs hydraulic power steering.
How long does a power steering pump last?
The life of a power steering pump is around up to 16,000 km but it can last longer if handled with care.
What is the cost to change the power steering pump?
The price of a power steering pump in the UAE starts from 450 AED and goes up to 1300 AED. Once you buy a pump you can change it at home
This concludes our guide on how to change the power steering pump. If you see the signs of failed power steering, you can easily buy them along with other car accessories and parts for sale in the UAE at reasonable rates. Besides faulty steering, if your vehicle is facing other issues that cannot be fixed, then you can consider buying used cars in the UAE at affordable prices.
Stay tuned to the UAE’s top cars blog to find more car maintenance tips and guides.