A Guide to Brake Pads and Rotors Replacement
The vehicle’s brake pads and rotor help you to make a safe stop when needed. Therefore, it is important to have them in good working condition. Experts recommend getting the vehicle’s brake pad and rotor checked when changing the tyres. However, if you are facing issues such as squealing, squeaking or pulsation from the pedal, then there might be a time to replace brake pads and rotor. Following is a step-by-step guide on brake pads and rotors replacement.
How to Replace Brake Pads and Rotors
Replacing brake pads and rotors is a fairly simple procedure, as long as you know what you’re following the right technique. However, safety should never be compromised when working with a vehicle’s brakes, therefore you should always replace brake rotors with high quality or original equipment.
Cost To Replace Rotors and Pads
The cost of quality brake pads in the UAE starts from AED 125, while the price of the rotor starts from AED 55. You can find brake pads, rotors and other car parts for sale in the UAE from dubizzle at reasonable rates.
However, the brake pads and rotor replacement cost may vary depending on the model and make of the vehicle. Following your owner’s manual is advisable. Whenever you start hearing squealing noise during braking, make sure you check the maintenance of the car brake system.
Step 1: Park Your Vehicle Safely
Always ensure that the car is parked on level ground before starting any work and is in parking mode. Also, be sure to wear safety goggles, gloves and overalls and try to have a fire extinguisher close by in case of an emergency.
Step 2: Check the Brake Fluid level
You must check the brake fluid reservoir by opening the vehicle’s hood. You need to remove the fluid in case it is full. This can help you to avoid spillage while compressing the brake calliper piston.
Step 3: Identify Components and Remove Brake Pads
- Before lifting the vehicle, loosen the wheel’s lug nuts with the help of a breaker bar and socket.
- It’s time to raise the vehicle by using a hydraulic jack and remove the wheel and the lug nuts.
- Take some time to identify the different disc brake components.
- Use the wrench and turn counterclockwise to remove the upper and lower collet mounting screws.
- Loosen the brake pads and secondary calliper mounting screws.
- Proceed to remove the brake pads, making sure there is anti-rattle hardware to transport to the new brake pads.
- Now you can remove the clamp holder.
Step 4: Remove the Brake Rotor
- With no calliper assembly obstructing the path, you can now loosen and remove the brake rotor.
- This may require a little bit of oil lubrication to help ease the rotor when you make some light taps with a hammer.
- To facilitate mounting of the new brake rotor, clean the bearing hub rotor mounting surface.
- Before installing new brake rotor pads, remove the brake calliper piston and release excess fluid by removing the cylinder cap.
Step 5: Install the New Brake Rotor
Unpack the new rotor from its protective film and gently slide it into the same location and position as where you just removed the old rotor.
Step 6: Install New Brake Pads
Reinstall the brake calliper bracket and position the brake pads in place. At this point, you must ensure that the brake pads are snug in the calliper assembly. If brake pads are too loose or too tight, they may not work efficiently.
Step 7: Reinstall the Brake Calliper and Mounting Screws
- The final step is to put the brake calliper and calliper mounting bolts back into position.
- Make sure the cursor moves unrestrictedly up and down on the gripper slides.
- Before driving the vehicle, always be sure to push the brake pedal on the ground and then release it slowly.
- Repeat the movement until you are satisfied that the brakes have returned to their normal operation.
- This procedure ensures that the brake pads are fit across the brake rotor correctly.
These are some simple steps for brake pads and rotors replacement. We hope that this guide can help you in replacing the brake pads and rotors at home. In case you find any difficulty in changing the parts, make sure you take your vehicle to the repair centre and get it changed by the experts. However, keeping a check on your vehicle’s tyres and other parts can help you to reduce your car service bills. In case your vehicle needs frequent garage visits, it is better to replace it with a well-maintained used car for sale in the UAE.
If you find this guide helpful, stay tuned to the UAE’s leading auto blog for more.