Step-by-Step: How to Apply for an RTA Vehicle Possession Certificate
A vehicle possession certificate is issued to cars that aren’t yet roadworthy. The certificate serves as a legal and administrative tool to establish ownership or possession rights and to maintain accurate records within Dubai’s traffic system. It also ensures that the vehicle’s status is documented for future reference and potential roadworthiness. Let’s go through the process of applying for a RTA vehicle possession certificate in detail.
Importance of a Vehicle Possession Certificate
The certificate is issued for cars that aren’t yet roadworthy and it serves several important purposes:
It provides legal proof of ownership or possession of the vehicle, even if it’s not currently fit for use on the road. This documentation is crucial for establishing ownership rights.
Transfer of Ownership
It allows for the legal transfer of vehicle ownership from one party to another. This is particularly important in cases of vehicle sales or transfers, where the buyer needs assurance that they are taking possession of the vehicle legally.
It helps maintain accurate records within Dubai’s traffic and transportation authority’s system, ensuring that the status and ownership of vehicles are correctly documented. This can be important for administrative purposes and for tracking the history of the vehicle.
The certificate offers protection to the owner or possessor by providing a legal record of their status in case of disputes, accidents, or other legal matters involving the vehicle.
While the vehicle may not be roadworthy at the time of possession certificate issuance, it allows for proper documentation and preparation for future repairs or improvements. Once the vehicle becomes roadworthy, the possession certificate can facilitate the re-registration process.
Important Documents to Apply for a Vehicle Possession Certificate
Here are the key documents you’ll need when applying for a RTA vehicle possession certificate.
– Original Emirates ID.
For Companies with Vehicles
– An official letter in Arabic from the company.
– A copy of the Trade Licence.
– For LLC companies (when applying at centres), include a Memorandum of Association in Arabic.
– If there are buyers involved, please provide their traffic file.
For Diplomatic Bodies
Diplomatic bodies should submit:
– An official letter from the consulate.
– A letter from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Ways to Apply for a RTA Vehicle Possession Certificate
This service is available to a wide range of users, including individual customers, citizens, residents, and companies. You have multiple convenient options for applying:
- Online: You can easily apply by visiting the RTA Dubai website.
- In-Person: You can go to any of the customer happiness centres based in Dubai.
- Vehicle Centers: Additionally, you can apply by visiting any of Dubai’s vehicle registration and inspection centres.
Procedure to Apply for a Vehicle Possession Certificate
When applying through the RTA website, follow these straightforward steps:
- Sign In: Log in using your username and password.
- Choose Services: Select “Licencing Services.”
- Pick the Service: Find and select the specific service you need.
- Enter Details: Input all the required information.
- Verify with UAE Pass: Confirm your customer ID using UAE Pass for authentication.
- Payment: Pay the necessary fee securely with a credit card.
- Submit Plates: Submit the vehicle’s plates at the designated centre.
- Confirmation: You’ll receive electronic receipts and a certificate, allowing you to possess a non-roadworthy vehicle.
You will receive the certificate instantly when applying through the RTA website.
When you visit the Customer Happiness Centres or Vehicle Registration and Inspection Centres, the application process is simple:
- Approach the Front Desk: Head to the front desk and speak with an employee.
- Receive a Link: The employee will provide you with a link.
- Document Upload: Use the link to upload all the necessary documents.
- Get a Transaction Code: You’ll receive a transaction code.
- Finalise at the Desk: Present the transaction code to the front desk employee to complete the service process. They will review and electronically sign your application.
- Payment: Pay the required vehicle possession certificate service fees at this stage.
- Plate Submission: Hand over the vehicle’s plates.
- Confirmation: You’ll receive your receipt and certificate of vehicle possession via SMS and email for your records.
You will receive the certificate within 5 minutes when applying through centres.
Vehicle Possession Certificate Service Fee
- The service fee for individual users to obtain the certificate is AED 100 in addition to an AED 20+ knowledge and innovation fee.
- As for buyers, the ownership transfer fee is AED 400, the certificate fee is AED 100 and the knowledge and innovation fee is AED 20+.
Terms and Conditions to Apply for a Vehicle Possession Certificate
The following terms and conditions are necessary to apply for a car possession certificate:
- In-Person Visit Required: To apply, the customer or their legal representative must be present in person.
- No Driving Allowed: Please note that the possession certificate does not grant permission to drive the vehicle.
- Clear Traffic Fines: Before obtaining this service, the customer is responsible for settling all outstanding traffic fines in Dubai.
- Licencing Fee Differences: The customer must also cover any required licencing fee differences, if applicable.
- Ownership Transfer Conditions: When transferring ownership to a new owner, specific terms and conditions related to the vehicle’s weight and type will apply.
- Mortgaged Vehicles: If the vehicle is under a mortgage, the customer must electronically release the mortgage.
- New Traffic File: Customers without an existing traffic file must open a new one, incurring a 200 AED fee for a new file.
When is a vehicle possession certificate issued?
You’ll receive a possession certificate in the following situations:
- If your vehicle is damaged and needs to be transferred under the bank’s or insurance company’s name, or if it’s being considered as scrap.
- When you’re not renewing the vehicle ownership and want to avoid any delay penalties.
- If you want to transfer the vehicle to someone else without going through the registration process.
- When your vehicle is not currently operational, but you wish to keep it for maintenance purposes.
Do both the buyer and seller need to cover traffic fines when applying for the certificate in someone else’s name?
No, only the seller is responsible for settling all fines issued in Dubai.
Does a vehicle possession certificate grant permission to drive?
No, the certificate does not grant permission to drive a non-road-worthy vehicle.
Is a vehicle clearance certificate identical to a vehicle possession certificate?
No, they are different. A vehicle clearance certificate confirms that a vehicle has no restrictions like a mortgage and no unpaid traffic fines. In contrast, a possession certificate is for non-roadworthy vehicles.
That’s everything you need to know about the RTA vehicle possession certificate. Besides, if you want to buy another vehicle, here is a list of used cars for sale in Dubai.
For further information on different certificates issued by the RTA, keep following dubizzle’s leading automotive blog.