Everything You Need to Know About Hafilat Card in Abu Dhabi
- Types of Hafilat Card
- Types of Hafilat Passes
- Places to Buy Hafilat Card in Abu Dhabi
- How to Recharge Hafilat Bus Card
Transport authorities in the UAE have made it easier for commuters to pay the public transport fares. One such service by the Department of Transport (DoT) is the Hafilat in Abu Dhabi. The Hafilat card program was initiated in 2015 to replace the old methods of paying fares in cash.
Here’s all you need to know about the types of Hafilat card, where can you buy it from and what are its benefits:
TYPES OF HAFILAT CARD
A Hafilat card can be used to pay fares for public transports in Abu Dhabi. Here are the types of the Abu Dhabi Hafilat card:
- Contactless Smart Ticket (CST): This CST Hafilat card is a temporary one and valid for 30 days only. Moreover, consumers can avail of this card free of any cost but they will have to credit the balance to use public transport services.
- Personalised Hafilat Card: This is smart card designed for users of public buses in Abu Dhabi and it can be personalised or anonymous. When you board a bus, the card is automatically scanned by the validator at the entrance, and again at the exit. As you travel, the card deducts the appropriate fare for your ride from the amount available on the card. This process ensures a seamless and automated way to pay for your bus trips. This type of Hafilat card in Abu Dhabi is valid for a duration of 5 years and the initial charge is 10 AED.
- Smart Card for students, senior and special-needs citizens: It costs AED 5 and the validity is for a 5 year period from the date of purchase.
TYPES OF HAFILAT PASSES
Integrated Transport Centre (ITC) has also initiated the passes that commuters can utilise on a weekly or monthly basis. Let’s find out about Hafilat passes:
The T-Purse in the Hafilat in Abu Dhabi is valid for regional buses and public transport in Abu Dhabi city. It is an electronic wallet that consumers can recharge. The following are the fares for T-purse holders:
- Boarding charge of 2 AED and an additional charge of AED 5 fils/kilometre for using regional services.
- Starting charge of 2 AED and an additional 10 fils/kilometre for using express or intercity services.
Frequent public transport can avail unlimited bus trips within Abu Dhabi city only for the weekly pass which has a wallet amount of AED 30. Its validation is for seven days from the purchasing date.
Hafilat monthly pass is similar to the weekly pass but one can avail unlimited bus trips for a 30 days period. The wallet amount of the monthly pass is AED 80 and its validation period starts from the date of purchase.
Public transport users can register for Hafilat T-purse, weekly or monthly pass by signing up on the Hafilat website. Furthermore, the Hafilat in Abu Dhabi offers the students, special needs and senior citizens bus passes.
HAFILAT PASS FOR SENIOR CITIZENS
Senior citizens will have to register for the Hafilat pass just like other residents. They will need an ID card of the UAE, a resident visa and a lease contract. The validity of senior citizen Hafilat pass will be of one year. This pass will be renewed after the verification of documents. It will give access to unlimited bus rides to the senior citizens of this Emirate.
HAFILAT PASS FOR SPECIAL NEEDS PEOPLE
The special needs people can avail unlimited bus services for a year using Hafilat in Abu Dhabi. Consumers applying for this pass will need to register themselves with a UAE ID and valid medical certificate.
HAFILAT PASS FOR STUDENTS
Students can avail a Hafilat pass in Abu Dhabi by registering them with a UAE ID card and student card. This will be valid for a year and the students will have to submit the documents again for the verification and renewal of Hafilat pass.
WHERE TO BUY HAFILAT CARD IN ABU DHABI?
Users can buy the Hafilat passes or T-purse from the bus stations, ticket vending machines or ticket counters. Moreover, a person using a Hafilat pass will have to punch the card while entering or exiting the bus. If the commuter misses punch-out, it may result in fines imposed by the ITC.
- ID card or passport copy
- Residence visa
- Registration fee of AED 5 for students, senior citizens and special needs people. It costs AED 10 to register for a normal Hafilat smart card.
HAFILAT CARD MACHINE LOCATIONS
You can check for availability of hafilat card on following locations in Abu Dhabi to purchase it:
- Abu Dhabi International Airport
- Bani Yas bus station
- Mussafah bus station
- Shahama bus station
- Al-Ain bus station
- Al-Sila bus station
- Ghayathi bus station
- Madinat Zayed bus station
HOW TO RECHARGE HAFILAT BUS CARD IN ABU DHABI?
It’s easy to top-up a Hafilat card in Abu Dhabi.
When you visit their website, you’ll find clear buttons for registration, recharging, and paying fines. If you don’t need a personalised card, you can skip registration and simply recharge by clicking the button.
Here’s how to do it:
- Enter your details.
- Check your current balance.
- Pick the credit amount you want (AED 10 to AED 100, in multiples of five).
- Confirm your selection and proceed to payment.
- Enter your card details and follow the steps for payment.
- After successful payment, you’ll get an order number, text message and email confirmation. Allow up to 48 hours for your credit to show in your card balance. For immediate travel, consider using analogue kiosks to top up.
Remember, you can also buy Hafilat card credit from various recharging stations and convenience stores across the city. These include the sales and recharge machines, recharge ticket vending machines, the sales office and MBME recharge machines.
Users can also use an online service that is a Darbi app or by visiting the official website, hafilat.darb.ae to top-up or check Hafilat card balance.
Hafilat pass is valid for all the regional and intercity buses in Abu Dhabi such as public buses from Abu Dhabi to Dubai and Ras-al-Khaimah. The Hafilat in Abu Dhabi is quite similar to nol card in Dubai. You can get a Hafilat card in Abu Dhabi from the ticket vending machines or ticket office machine counters at the bus stations or terminals where the people submit their documents.
What is a Hafilat card?
Hafilat card is a smart card that was launched in 2015. This smart card is used to pay fares for public transportation services in Abu Dhabi.
How can I recharge my Hafilat card?
Consumers can recharge Hafilat card balance from ticket vending machines, the sales office, MBME recharge machines and online via the Darbi app or website.
How much does a Hafilat card cost?
The Hafilat card costs AED 10 and remains valid for five years. You can buy passes for different durations based on your budget and travel requirements: A weekly pass for AED 30, a monthly pass for AED 80, and a yearly pass for AED 500. Senior citizens and People of Determination receive free annual passes.
This was all about Hafilat in Abu Dhabi. However, you can buy used cars in Abu Dhabi to travel more comfortably and conveniently.
Stay tuned to the UAE’s top auto blog for more information on the public transport services in the different Emirates.