The Importance of Rearview Mirror
Driving a car without a rearview mirror is extremely dangerous as it can lead to severe road emergencies. Moreover, it is illegal to drive a car without one. Drivers are advised to check all car mirrors including the rearview mirror and the car side mirrors to be mindful of the traffic around and behind their vehicle. The rearview mirror of a car enables drivers to see what’s behind their car without turning their heads.
Similarly, side mirrors help drivers see the sides of the vehicle when changing lanes to avoid collisions. Besides, rearview mirrors allow drivers to park vehicles effectively in parking areas, providing a clear sight to the side and rear of the car.
Importance of Car Rearview Mirror
The rearview mirror is very important for a driver and passenger’s safety. Drivers can easily keep a check on the traffic around them and prepare for any potential danger. For example, motorists can see a fast car approaching from behind through the rearview mirror.
The rearview mirror of a car is not only an efficient safety feature but is also used for parking. You must also ensure the rearview mirror and side mirrors are clean before driving, dirty mirrors limit visibility and can result in road emergencies.
Role of Car Rearview Mirror
- The basic role of a rear-view mirror is ensuring your safety and the safety of other drivers, objects, passengers and cars on the road.
- You must always check all your car mirrors before making a sudden stop, turning, accelerating or switching lanes and reversing.
- A well-positioned rearview mirror and car side mirrors help you spot other cars behind you when changing lanes, making a turn or reversing.
- Generally, when you take driving lessons, most driving instructors suggest glancing over the rearview and side mirrors every five to eight seconds. This doesn’t mean you keep looking in the rearview mirror and forget what’s ahead – a quick glance means a quick check to be mindful of the traffic behind and around you.
- Keeping a check on the rearview mirror of a car helps identify if another vehicle is about to hit you from the rear.
- You can reverse your car properly and parallel park with the help of a rear view mirror, rear cameras or parking sensors. Make sure you reverse your vehicle with the utmost care, ignoring to do so can result in a fine of AED 400 and 4 black points.
- If you are driving a heavy vehicle carrying items, the rearview mirror helps drivers identify if any item is falling off the truck.
How to Adjust your Car Mirrors
Follow these steps to properly adjust your car mirrors:
- Sit in the car and position the driver’s seat in a way that you have comfortable access to the brake pedal, accelerator and gear.
- Gently move the rearview mirror of the car in a way that you have clear sight out of the middle of your back windshield without moving your head.
- Many new car models have automatic side mirrors, locate their buttons or levers and adjust them. For older models, drivers adjust the side view mirrors themselves manually.
How to use a car rearview mirror?
Sit in the driver’s seat and adjust the car rearview mirror and side mirrors in a way that you can clearly see the traffic coming from the side and back of your vehicle.
Why is it important to adjust car mirrors?
It is important to adjust car mirrors to have a clear sight of what’s behind and around your vehicle.
That is all about the importance of the rearview mirror of a car. If you’re looking for rearview mirrors, side mirrors alongside other vehicle parts, check out this list of used car accessories.
Stay tuned to the UAE’s top blog for more on car parts, their functions and road safety.