How to Easily Tint Car Windows at Home
Tinting car windows at home is not entirely impossible, but the process requires a good understanding and practical knowledge. The procedure is similar to placing a protective screen on your mobile phone, but you have to cut the tint film to the size of the car window first. Aside from the right application technique, you also need to know about the laws and regulations regarding car window tints in the UAE.
In this guide, we will cover everything you need to know about tinting your car’s windows at home, starting with the rules and regulations in the UAE.
Rules & Regulations in the UAE for Car Tinting
One way to upgrade your car’s look is by tinting the car’s windows. Before you buy a tint film, check the allowed percentage of tint darkness relative to the country’s rules and regulations. For instance, car tinting laws in Abu Dubai, a maximum of 50% darkness is allowed.
Tinting Car Windows at Home
Adding tints to your car windows at home will require a bit of preparation regarding tools and the workplace. In case your car is already tinted, consider removing the window tint before proceeding with the replacement.
Supplies for Window Tinting
You can easily buy most tinting supplies from the nearest tool store.
- Window tint film
- Application solution or soap water
- Lint-free cloth
- Razor cutter or knife
- Squeegee for car windows
- Heat gun
Apart from the heat gun and the tint film, some of these supplies might already be available at home. A dust-free location is preferable. Avoid doing it outdoors to prevent contact with dust.
Tint Film Preparation
The tint is applied to the inner side of the window. However, you will use the outer side to take the size and cut it accordingly.
Since the process is all about technique, the article covers it step by step to make tinting car windows at home easier to follow.
- Clean the outer window and remove any dust particles using car cleaning products
- Reapply the solution to the outer side so tinting film can stick to it
- Facing the liner side of the tint towards the glass, press it against the glass and cut the excess sheet
- Use cutter carefully so as to not scratch the window while leaving some extra tint for adjustment
- Apply the solution to the adhesive cover of the tint (facing outside) and cut to shape
- Roll down your windows a bit to adjust and cut the tinting film from the top
Use the solution generously as it makes it easier to slide and adjust tinting film on the glass. This will also help you cut to the right shape.
Application of Tint Film
Once the tinting film is cut to the shape, we can now apply it to the interior glass. Leave the film on the outer glass so we can prepare the interior glass.
Just follow these steps in order:
- Thoroughly clean the interior window with the solution and lint-free cloth
- Use a squeegee and clean around the corners to make window spotless and dust-free
- Separate the liner from the film on the outer window with the help of a tape
- Spray the solution on the exposed film and interior glass
- Remove the film from outer glass and place the adhesive side (solution applied) to the inner glass
- Adjust the film and use a squeegee to remove solution in between the film and glass
- Use a cloth to remove excess solution from the side and heat gun to dry out remaining solution
Once the installation is complete, the film must be left to cure. The curing time can take anywhere between 2 to 4 days. There is always the possibility of bubble formation due to moisture. It usually evaporates during the curing process. If the tints haven’t been placed correctly, then you can remove the window tints and repeat the whole procedure.
Benefits of Tinting
Car window tints improve the exterior aesthetics and maintain a comfortable cabin environment in the extreme temperatures of the UAE. Tinting can keep your car cooler during the summer and offer protection against ultraviolet radiation, moreover you can drive with a sun glare conveniently.
Car window tinting at home will save you unnecessary labour costs, but a small mistake can botch the entire look. If you aren’t sure of your skills, better get the job done by a trained professional with the right tools and knowledge. Moreover, if you are going for a visual upgrade or makeover, check out new and used auto accessories & parts for sale.
Stay tuned to the UAE’s leading auto blogs for more information on car parts, market trends and automotive technology.